Friday, February 1, 2008

7 1/2 Habits

7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind – Determine the goal and learn what is needed to accomplish it and the length of time it will take. To me the most important make a roadmap to accomplish the goal.
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning – Value learning, begin different courses and take an active role. Learn from others.
Habit 3: View problems as challenges – View the obstacle as a learning opportunity, a challenge to learn from and provide the motivation to learn. We can not always be on top of the mountain sometimes the most learned is getting to the top. I’ve found depending upon the degree of the problem sometimes it takes real determination to get back up.
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner – To me it is important to think positively and not to say things unless it is the way I want them to be, choice of words and thoughts are very important to success.
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox – Putting together a toolbox of books, classes taken, notes, others who know more and can mentor and various technology are all helpful along the way.
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage – Technology can always be an advantage in learning ex. the ipod to download information and music, and Skype is so wonderful for communication and especially to talk with my daughter in London and GoogleEarth to see what her neighborhood looks like. We can talk and see each other as often as we want. I use it to talk to my other daughter and grandson who live in PA also.
Habit 7: Teach/mentor others – I enjoy this the most as I integrate the technology and help other teachers I learn more and share the enjoyment of technology and many ways to integrate it into the curriculum. I enjoy teaching Community and Continuing Education classes.
Habit 7 ½: Play – The hardest and the one I appreciate the most. I try to practice this and have to remind myself to play because I tend to be a perfectionist and get involved and do not take the time to play. Lately I have learned to realize how important Habit 7 ½ is. Taking a technology course can be considered PLAY right? How about 2 on-line technology classes? Play becomes easier when the weather is beautiful and the kayak is calling my name.

No comments: