Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tagging and Del.icio.us (social bookmarking site)

Tagging / Tags - A bookmark, Unstructured - following no guidelines, user creates/ chooses the keywords to associate with their online content, -- very different than the library's structured rules and formal catorgories.

Even though I don't think I ever really noticed it before, lately, it seems that I see tagging everywhere (Flickr, Technorati, LibraryThing, del.icio.us (to bookmark pages and add tags - social bookmarking allows me to also see what others have tagged and get other places to find information this is a little strange getting into other people's information - it almost feels like I should not look). At the PETE&C sessions Tagging was a big word in the Web 2.0 sessions where I even learned about tag clouds - how interesting!) I have the freedom to associate my own words and I fell a little apprehensive.

In a del.icio.us search for web 2.0 I found : Related tags: web2.0 web webdesign ajax design tools internet blog business technology For PETE&C I found Related tags: web2.0 education technology tools web wiki resources video conference conferences . I can learn from sessions at the conference that I was unable to attend. This will be almost as wonderful as the Virtual Conference provided by DEN. Wouldn't it be neat if all conferences were virtual? I could watch and listen to all sessions that I wanted to see. The cost would be so much cheaper, no overnights, no driving in the snow and ice, no problems finding a spot to park, no problems finding a room because I booked late, No running to get to a session only to find it is completely full. Wow wouldn't it be nice? I think if I remember right there were more than 2500 people at the PETE&C and at the banquet it was so packed.

Now we have Web 3.0: Is It About . How can that be I am just figuring out web 2.0 and I am behind again.

Back on track again, I have looked at and enjoyed del.icio.us and the Del.icio.us tutorial by Santa Cruz Public Library. Probably I should have started with this as it was very good, I then watched another excellent video and then went on to SJLibraryLearning2 to learn more - I subscribed to this using the RSS, created a Del.icio.us account and a network badge. I checked into Us.ef.ul: A beginners guide to Del.icio.us . Del.icio.us has potential for research assistance in addition to being an easy way to create bookmarks with the advantage that the bookmarks can be accessed from anywhere and any computer. Cloud tags look neat but not sure how to get it into this blog.

No comments: